At the most northern part of the I-75 in Michigan you will find the Historic Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge, joining together Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan and Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, better known as the “Twin Saults”. 

Coming to Canada doesn’t have to be complicated. More then 500,000 vehicles cross this iconic bridge every year.  Here is what you will need to know to make it simple. 

Canada will be open to welcome U.S.A visitors as of August 9th, 2021.  Click here for 8 things you will need to do before your visit.

For Bridge Information, Tolls and Traffic Cam click here.

Documents you will need

If you are travelling by land or sea (including cruises and ferries) between the United States and Canada, and you are a U.S. or Canadian citizen age 19 and older, you will be asked to present a passport or other approved secure document denoting citizenship and identity for all land and sea travel into the United States (effective June 1, 2009).

Enhanced Driver’s Licences (EDLs) have been formally identified as acceptable documentation requirements for land and sea crossings. If you are a U.S. citizen and a Michigan State resident, you are eligible to purchase an Enhanced Driver License (EDL), which will meet the requirements for proof of citizenship to re-enter the U.S. from Canada and Mexico by land or sea.

For further information about documentation required and border procedures, please visit the Canada Border Services Agency’s website.

Currency & Exchange

Most businesses will accept American currency and major credit cards, however you will get the best value by paying in Canadian currency. The currency exchange rate will vary, and it’s recommended to have on hand prior to your arrival. 

When you cross the border into Canada, you must declare any currency or monetary instruments you have valued at $10,000 or more – either in Canadian or foreign currency, or a combination of both.

No time to exchange money before you arrive? No problem, here are some currency exchange offices ready to service you

Before you cross over: Duty Free America, 865 I-75, Bridge Plaza, Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783, United States

Once you are on our side: Gateway Casino, 30 Bay St, Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 7A6

You must declare. Not sure what you can bring? This link will inform you.

Additional information for U.S. Residents

If you or anyone in your party has a prior criminal conviction, you may not be allowed into Canada. This includes DUI offences. Your admissibility to Canada depends on the nature of the offence, how many offences you have, as well as how long ago it/they occurred. If this applies to you or someone traveling with you, it is imperative you contact Immigration Canada well in advance of your arrival. You will likely have to complete some paperwork and Immigration Canada authorities will then advise you of the likelihood of being allowed into Canada. Final determination of your admissibility into Canada is only made when you cross the border.

You may also wish to call an Immigration Officer at the Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Port of Entry
1-800-461-9999 or 1-204-983-3500 (calls outside of Canada).

Planning your stay in Sault Ste. Marie

Every great trip starts with a great plan, let us help. Whether you are looking for an outdoor adventure experience, a ride on a scenic train tour, or just a long weekend getaway, here are the tools to help you make that plan.