As we know recent legislation in Canada regarding Cannabis has changed so we understand you may have some questions on this topic. The below information may help with some of your questions but if not a link for further information is below. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Cannabis is legal for 19 and older in Canada. However, it is illegal to transport cannabis and products containing cannabis – including edible cannabis, cannabis extracts and cannabis topicals – across the international border. If you are entering or exiting Canada and have cannabis with you in any form, you must declare it to the Border Services Agency. Not declaring cannabis in your possession at the border is a serious criminal offence. You could be arrested and prosecuted.

You can purchase cannabis in person only from authorized retail cannabis stores in Ontario. The Ontario Cannabis Store website is the only legal way to purchase all forms of recreational cannabis online. If you buy cannabis from anywhere else, you could be subject to a fine of up to $100,000 and/or imprisoned for up to one year. You are permitted to purchase up to 30 grams (about one ounce) of dried recreational cannabis or equivalent at one time for personal use

The government has enacted the following rules for using cannabis, both medical and recreational.
• Private residences – this does not include residences that are also workplaces (long-term care and retirement homes)
• Many outdoor public places (sidewalks and parks)
• Designated smoking guest rooms in hotels, motels and inns
• Residential vehicles and boats that meet certain criteria (if they have permanent sleeping accommodations and cooking facilities, and are parked or anchored)
• Scientific research and testing facilities (if the cannabis use is for scientific research and testing purposes)
• Controlled areas long-term care homes, certain retirement homes, residential hospices, provincially-funded supportive housing and designated psychiatric facilities or veterans’ facilities.

• Indoor common areas (condos, apartment buildings and university/college residences
enclosed public places and enclosed workplaces, non-designated guest rooms in an accommodation)
• Schools and places where children gather— even if children aren’t present), Hospitals, hospices, care homes and other facilities.
• Within 9 metres from the entrance or exit of hospitals (public and private), psychiatric facilities, long-term care homes, independent health facilities.
• Outdoor grounds of hospitals (public and private) and psychiatric facilities
• In non-controlled areas in long-term care homes, certain retirement homes, provincially-funded supportive housing, designated psychiatric or veterans’ facilities, and residential hospices
• Publicly owned spaces (publicly-owned sport fields (not including golf courses), nearby spectator areas and public areas within 20 metres of these areas.)
• Vehicles and boats (smoking, vaping and eating in a vehicle or boat that is being driven or will be driven.) Learn more.
• Restaurants and on bar patios and public areas within 9 metres of a patio
• Outdoor grounds of specified Ontario government office buildings
• Reserved seating areas at outdoor sports and entertainment locations
• Grounds of community recreational facilities and public areas within 20 metres of those grounds
• Sheltered outdoor areas with a roof and more than two walls which the public or employees frequent, or are invited to (i.e a bus shelter)

For more details and up to date information please visit the Ontario Government Site.

Planning your stay in Sault Ste. Marie

Every great trip starts with a great plan, let us help. Whether you are looking for an outdoor adventure experience, a ride on a scenic train tour, or just a long weekend getaway, here are the tools to help you make that plan.